The past couple of years have seen turbulent political change—and we’ve been there with you, marching in the streets, signing petitions, and engaging in important debates online and in the real world. One thing is clear: there’s tremendous energy and desire to connect to make positive change.
We at Real Food Media know that to turn our collective energy into people power, we need to organize. From community gardens to town halls across the country and beyond, nothing is more powerful than people coming together to break bread, share ideas, and create the kind of world we want to see.
We also know that our stories are powerful, and can spark conversations that lead to meaningful change. That’s why we launched the Real Food Films Contest in 2013. Talented storytellers and filmmakers responded by submitting hundreds of inspiring short films. This year, we’re building on this rich film library to bring you curated film reels accompanied by resources to help you dig deeper and take action.
If you believe a just, healthy, and environmentally sustainable world is possible: let’s get busy.
BUILDING POWER WITH FOOD WORKERS – Coming 2018!
TACKLING CLIMATE CHANGE THROUGH FOOD – Coming 2018!
WHAT YOU’LL FIND IN EACH TOOLKIT:
- Curated selections from the Real Food Films team on the people, places, and stories at the heart of each theme
- Guiding questions to facilitate reflection and discussion
- Activity ideas to turn your film screening into a community-building, action-oriented event
- Downloadable resources to share with your audience
- Ideas for ways to organize in your own community for food system change
- Tips for individuals and organizations interested in hosting their own film viewing event around these themes
IDEAS FOR HOW TO USE THE FILM TOOLKITS:
- Watch the reels and read the accompanyin material yourself to be informed and inspired
- Watch with a small group and use the materials to spark discussion ideas for action
- Organize a big event around them and mobilize as a community
- Whatever way you want to use these resources, we are here to help!
TOOLKITS ARE GEARED TOWARDS:
- Who care about good food and want to dig deeper to understand how our food system works (or doesn’t work) and how food can be a starting point for building a better world.
- Food, health, labor, and climate activists who are eager to organize their communities around concrete campaigns and actions
- Students and educators looking for tools that combine learning with action, inside and outside of the classroom
- Faith-based groups interested in fostering support for healthy, just, and sustainable food systems
- Neighborhood associations and other local organizations looking for ways to strengthen community through informed engagement with food issues
- Offices, unions, and other workplace groups that want to facilitate conversation among co-workers about their place in the food system
Have something else in mind? The sky’s the limit! Toolkits include materials accessible to people from diverse backgrounds and levels of experience. Tell us about your group and let us know if we can help you get organized by contacting email@example.com.